Government policy in Bangladesh does not recognize abortion; but there exits a policy on menstruation regulation (MR), which permits termination of unwanted pregnancy up to 10 weeks from the last menstrual period. The policy regarding MR is not very clear. Unskilled and untrained providers mostly conduct termination of pregnancy. Access to safe abortion services is very limited. Huge BCC gap exists, religious and procuring funds for promotion of safe abortion service is difficult. Internally MR facilities are not available at peripheral level. Service providers are not adequately trained and post abortion care facilities are insufficient. Unsafe abortion-female foeticide-gender discrimination may raise as a problem in Bangladesh near future.
• About 3.9 million pregnancies occur in Bangladesh annually out of which 1.3 million is unwanted. Due to this high-unwanted pregnancy rate 0.8 million women terminate their pregnancy either by MR or abortion.
High rate of unsafe abortion
• Most abortions are done by the unskilled health professionals. At least 8.000 women die from complication of unsafe abortion. Bedsides this around 100.00 women suffers from long run morbidity from the complications of unsafe abortion.
• Though from the Government side there is no opposition to provide abortion through menstruation regulation (MR) program but there is some form of religious and socio-cultural opposition/barrier against it.
• Some International Donor Agencies have some reservation to provide financial support for promotion of MR/Safe abortion services.
• In comparison to the need of the abortion/MR services there are wide gap in providing services, post abortion care and follow up care services with maintaining its quality aspects.
• Some negative attitude of service providers in providing Abortion/MR services.